Here is a running summary of the visible changes to Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) in 2021. We will continue to update this list every month so check back often. Contact us with any questions about the new features or how to enable them for your users.
April already launched Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) features:
Updated design for the Admin console home page
- Updates the Admin Console to a new card-based interface, and the ability to reorder items.
Now 3/31/2021 | All
Changes to Google Workspace storage policies timeline
- June 1st: High-quality photos will count towards Drive quota
- Feb 1, 2022: Any newly created Docs, Sheet, Slides, Drawings, Forms, Jamboard files will count towards storage. Existing files will not count unless they are modified after the date.
Full Rollout 6/1/2021 and 2/1/2022 | All
March already launched Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) features:
See more video feeds in Google Meet
- Expanding tile view layouts for iOS and Android devices- to 8 feeds on phones and up to 48 feeds on iPads.
Full Rollout 3/15/21 | All
Snooze Google Calendar desktop notifications
- You can snooze Google Calendar notifications directly from the notification itself. You can also resnooze the notification.
Full Rollout 3/16/21 | All
Set up Google Meet breakout rooms ahead of meetings in Google Calendar
- You can now set up Breakout Rooms in Google Calendar in advance.
Gradual Rollout 3/8/21 | Rapid
Reminder: Switch to the new desktop Google Chat app before March 30 2021
- Switching to a new Chat standalone desktop app, so upgrading by March 30th is suggesting.
Gradual Rollout 3/9/21 | All
Let Google Calendar automatically book a replacement room for your events
- If a room declines your event, Google Calendar will automatically find a similar room and replace it.
Full Rollout 2/22/21 | Rapid
More options for sharing your availability in Google Calendar
- Ability to create repeating out-of-office entries.
- Ability to split working hours into multiple segments each day.
Gradual Rollout 2/22/21 | Rapid
Adding Google Chat, Google Calendar, and Jamboard to Google Workspace Essentials
- At no additional cost, teams and orgs can connect and collaborate with Google Chat, Calendar, and Jamboard.
All 3/1/21 | Available now
February already launched Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) features:
Out of office information will now display when replying to or mentioning a user in a Google Docs comment
- In Google Docs, you can now see OOO info when replying or mentioning others in a comment.
Gradual Rollout 1/25/21 | Rapid
January already launched Google Workspace (formerly G Suite) features:
Join a meeting with new options on the Google Meet landing page
- On meet.google.com, you’ll see three options after you click “New Meeting:” Get Joining Info to Share, Start an Instant Meeting, and Schedule in Google Calendar
Full Rollout 1/7/21 | Rapid
New tools to troubleshoot network and performance issues in Google Meet
- Adding tools in Google Meet for users to understand their local environments and how they might be affecting meeting quality.
Gradual Rollout 1/12/21 | All
Customize text style and appearance in Google Sites
- You can now adjust text size, color, font, spacing while using text boxes in Google Sites.
Gradual Rollout 1/5/21 | Scheduled
Create and work with documents that contain multiple page orientations in Google Docs
- You can now change page orientation inside a Google Doc on a per-section basis.
Gradual Rollout 1/5/21 | Scheduled
Smart compose and spelling autocorrect available when adding comments in Google Docs
- Smart compose and spelling autocorrect available when adding comments in Google Docs.
Available now 1/5/21 | All
* Rollout pace:
- Full rollout (1–3 days for feature visibility)
- Gradual rollout (up to 15 days for feature visibility)
- Extended rollout (potentially longer than 15 days for feature visibility)