DMARC Compliance: Essential for Google Email Deliverability

Patrick Della Peruta
  • 7 min read

As of June 1st, 2024, Google has implemented new requirements for bulk senders using their Gmail service. If you send 5,000 or more messages per day to Gmail accounts, your email domain must have a DMARC policy in your DNS records. This policy must be set to a minimum of “none” (p=none).

What is DMARC?

DMARC, which stands for “Domain-based Message Authentication, Reporting & Conformance,” is a technical specification designed to reduce email-based abuse. It standardizes how email receivers authenticate messages using SPF (Sender Policy Framework) and DKIM (DomainKeys Identified Mail) mechanisms. DMARC helps email receivers determine if a message aligns with what they know about the sender. For this to work effectively, the domain must have published SPF and DKIM records. In essence, DMARC is a security protocol that helps prevent email spoofing and phishing attacks by verifying that emails originate from legitimate sources.

Why is DMARC Important?

Email lacks the inherent ability to verify the sender’s authenticity, a vulnerability often exploited by cybercriminals. DMARC addresses this by giving domain owners visibility into who sends emails on their behalf, helping prevent abuse and unauthorized use. Implementing DMARC is crucial for maintaining a trustworthy and efficient email ecosystem. It safeguards your email communications and protects your organization’s reputation.

Recently, through a joint cybersecurity advisory, the FBI and NSA highlighted the importance of Dmarc compliance for all organizations.  Specifically, bad actors are targeting non-compliant domains through social engineering and other methods.

Additionally, starting in 2025, PCI Security Standards Council will require all payment processors to be Dmarc compliant – this  includes all organizations and merchants.  

Google’s Gradual Enforcement

Google’s enforcement of these new requirements began with a gradual process:

  • February 2024: Bulk senders who didn’t meet the requirements started receiving temporary errors (with error codes) on a small percentage of non-compliant email traffic.
  • April 2024: Google began rejecting a percentage of non-compliant email traffic, gradually increasing the rejection rate. For example, if 75% of a sender’s traffic met the requirements, Google would reject a portion of the remaining 25% of non-compliant traffic.
  • June 1, 2024: Full enforcement of the DMARC requirement began.

Additional Requirements

In addition to the DMARC policy, Google mandates that bulk senders implement one-click unsubscribe in all commercial and promotional messages. This feature allows recipients to easily opt out of unwanted emails, improving the overall user experience and reducing spam complaints.

Wursta’s DMARC Implementation Services

Navigating these changes can be complex, but Wursta offers DMARC implementation services to help organizations comply with Google’s requirements. Their comprehensive approach includes:

  1. Verifying SPF & DKIM: Ensuring your emails are protected by these essential authentication protocols.
  2. DMARC Implementation: Tailoring DMARC policies to fit your organization’s email systems and outbound message volume.
  3. Ongoing Monitoring: Regular review of Dmarcian reporting to gain insights into email authentication status and delivery performance.

By leveraging Wursta’s expertise, you can confidently navigate Google’s bulk sending changes, enhance your email security, and protect your organization from email-based threats. Connect with us to secure your email..